The Church’s Feasts and Seasons 2022-2023
Year A: The Year of Matthew’s Gospel
We follow a calendar based on a cycle of liturgical seasons including feasts and saints’ days.
We are constantly nourished by the story of Jesus and guided by our ancestors in the faith, living witnesses of God’s unchanging love.
The Church year begins on The First Sunday of ADVENT November 27 2022.
Advent is a period covering the four Sundays before Christmas during which we prepare to celebrate Christ’s birth, His coming into human history, & His ever constant coming into our lives and world, until finally there is a new heaven and a new earth.
The Christmas Season
Begins Christmas Day Sunday December 25th and concludes on January 9th 2023
- January 1st: Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God
- January 8th: The Epiphany
- January 9th: The Feast of The Baptism of the Lord
On Tuesday 10th January we begin Ordinary Time which ends on Shrove Tuesday 21st February 2023
Begins on Ash Wednesday 22nd February 2023.
The forty days of Lent are a time of spiritual renewal and preparation for the celebration of Easter
Over this time of penance we strive to give more depth to our prayer, and grow in compassion through fasting, self-denial and acts of generosity and kindness
April 2nd: Palm or Passion Sunday marks the beginning of Holy Week
The Easter Triduum (3 days) is the heart of our Liturgical Year, from the evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper, until Easter Sunday morning.
- April 6th: Holy Thursday
- April 7th: Good Friday
- April 8th : Easter Vigil
- April 9th: Easter Sunday
The Easter Season
During the six weeks of the Easter Season (50 days) we celebrate significant Church feasts:
- May 24th: OUR LADY, HELP OF CHRISTIANS
- May 26th: THE ASCENSION
- May 28th: PENTECOST
Ordinary Time resumes on May 29 and continues until Feast of Christ the King, which marks the end of the Year A.
Feast days of significance during this time are:
- June 4th: THE MOST HOLY TRINITY
- June 11th: THE MOST HOLY BODY AND BLOOD OF CHRIST (Corpus Christi)
- June 16th: THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS
- June 17th: The Immaculate Heart of Mary
- June 24th: THE NATIVITY OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST
- June 29th: SAINTS PETER AND PAUL
- August 6th: Transfiguration of the Lord
- August 8th: ST MARY OF THE CROSS
- August 15th: The Feast of the Assumption
- September 1st – October 4th: Season of Creation
- September 8th: Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- October 1st: St Therese of Lisieux
- October 4th: St Francis of Assisi
- November 1st: All Saints Day
- November 2nd: All Souls Day
- November 26th: Christ the King
The cycle begins again in Advent 2022, December 4th when we begin Year B The Year of St Mark’s Gospel